INTERNATIONAL — April 7, 2026

Khalilzad Describes Fragile Progress in US-Iran Tensions Amid Shift to Negotiations

Zalmay Khalilzad stated on social media that US-Iran tensions show fragile progress with a five-week ceasefire, reopened Strait of Hormuz, and delayed US escalation amid renewed talks. He highlighted ongoing obstacles over war guarantees and proposed a mutual commitment against returning to war during negotiations.

The Ehtebar Desk — originates with Ariana News2 min read

Khalilzad Describes Fragile Progress in US-Iran Tensions Amid Shift to Negotiations
Image courtesy Ariana News

Zalmay Khalilzad posted on social media late Monday that US-Iran tensions have shifted toward a combination of fighting and negotiations, describing the change as fragile progress.

He cited recent developments including a five-week ceasefire, the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz to all international shipping, renewed talks between Washington and Tehran on issues of mutual concern, and US President Donald Trump's agreement to delay a previously threatened escalation.

Khalilzad said obstacles persist, with Iran insisting on guarantees preventing a return to war in any agreement. The US, he noted, wants to preserve the option of resuming hostilities if negotiations fail.

Khalilzad proposed that both sides commit not to return to war during the negotiations. He added that Iran has previously accused the US of launching attacks during ongoing negotiations.

Read the original reporting at Ariana News

Reliability assessment

Single source provides direct attribution to named public figure Zalmay Khalilzad's social media post with concrete, checkable details including specific developments (five-week ceasefire, Strait of Hormuz reopening, Trump delay), making 'Khalilzad said X' reliably verifiable.

The source language reads straight.

Independent web corroboration

An independent web search turned up no separate corroborating reports. Treat the account as single-sourced until more outlets pick it up.

Across the newsrooms

Filed by

Filed under

InternationalZalmay Khalilzad, US-Iran tensions, Strait of Hormuz, Donald Trump, ceasefire

Spotted an error or have more on this story? Tip the desk on Telegram → or WhatsApp →.

Reader supported

Keep Ehtebar running

Every published story uses paid tools to translate reporting, compare sources, extract claims, and produce a clearer read on Afghanistan. Reader support helps keep that work independent.

€5

helps cover daily verification runs

€15

supports a week of source comparison

€50

keeps independent analysis moving